Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Week 9: Podcasts, Video & Downloadable audio

# 23 Is this really the end? Or just the beginning ...

This was so much fun, as well as educational! I got to play with a few things I knew, and a lot I didn't have any idea about. And I feel better for the process. I feel more confident and even a bit more learning 2.0 savvy! Not only will I be able to assist patrons if they ask me a question about some of these items, but I will be able to suggest things that may assist them. A little proactive suggesting. I've learnt so much - and will use so much of it! So many uses!


# 22 Audiobooks (or "The end is in sight ")

Shame. No need for libraries anymore. Just download books from the internet. Read them on the computer, listen to them on your i-pod. All for free. The end for libraries is in sight. But then again, maybe not. The libraries again are the information facilitators bringing the books to the end user, via accounts such as safari. It definately is the way of the future. It is so much easier, cheapier, and space saving to purchase a licence and enable borrowers to access the items. Easier to stay on top of those ever superseded items such as computer books. Easier to ensure we have the latest titles in our library at all times. Easier to outreach to communities and enable accessibility to patrons who would otherwise not be able to come into the libraries. So many uses!

# 21 Podcasts, Smodcasts

I subscribed to Libvibe to get the lastest in library news. It's interesting. I was watching The Librarians on the ABC last week, and they were talking about how they had just started "podcasting". What a great idea. Being able to tape storytime, internet training, database training, author talks - anything! That can then be downloaded at a future time by patrons/library staff/interested parties at there leisure!

Have a series of talks/lectures/classes in the library? Don't worry if you miss one - you can catch up by listening to the podcast! So many uses!

# 20 You too can Youtube

I've been very naughty and using Youtube quite a bit at home for a while now. You see, as you know I am a Lostie. And the nice people in the U.S., who were so ahead of us last season would post the episodes to Youtube. I'd sit in my study late at night, after my cheeky monkey had gone to bed and watch episodes about 4 weeks ahead of Australia. I think there may be something slighty illegal about it?

Youtube is also a great way to share video with family and friends over the internet. It is very easy to post your personal video, point your family and friends to the location, and they can easily watch the video.

An excellent device for other video sharing in an organisation such as: training videos or documentaries of interest. So many uses!

No comments: