Sunday, October 14, 2007

Week 6: Tagging, Folksonomies & Technorati

#15 Library 2.0 and Web 2.0

I know that a lot of the older Librarians in the field were very scared on the internet when it first gained huge popularity. Suddenly, there was a very big fear that the need for Librarians and Libraries w0uld become extinct. Why would anyone come into the library when they could just access information from their internet at home? What happened in reality however, was that the role of the Librarian changed from Information provider to Information facilitor, assisting library patrons to access and filter through the mounds of information available. I see the change happening again with Library 2.0 and web 2.0, Librarians will, must, need to be involved in the creation, collation, dissemination of information through these new technologies which are evolving. By keeping abreast of the evolution of these technologies, we will ensure that we don't become extinct.

#14 Getting not-so-technical with Technorati

I've been having a look around Technorati. A nice little site to browse and find bloggs. I see the difference between searching for the term Learning 2.0. Refined search to only searching for tags, gives us a lot less hits.

I equate the popular sites, to browsing the fiction/non-fiction trolleys at the library. You know how we do this to see what other people have been reading? Same with popular bloggs. Who has been reading what? Don't want to miss out so get onto that band wagon!!!!

# 13: Tagging, folksomonies & social bookmarking in Del.icio.us

Well, straight off the bat, I can tell you I'm going to be using Del.icio.us at home. I already see the benefit of it. Want to know why? Well, being married to a computer geek who only will use open source software, I often log onto my computer to find it has a new o.s. Last week it was SuseLinux (very green looking). This week it is Ubuntu (very brown looking). Anyway ... I digress. Granted my computer geek always asks me to save my documents to our network drive so nothing important gets lost. Nothing important except for ... my millions of favourite websites bookmarked and saved locally! Yay hoorah! Now I don't have to retype in my websites. They will be here at Del.icio.us no matter what my lovely computer geek does with the operating system. Delicious! I've been thinking about the extended uses also. The hard work in finding reputable sites on certain subjects - all at your finger tips. Other people have done the hard work and as long you think along the same lines as them in terms of "subject terms". Delicious!

No comments: